Paul,

There are some problems with DSpace 1.4.2 and Postgres 8.3.  There are
threads about that here:
http://www.nabble.com/Error-with-DSpace-administrator%27s-account-td15994473.html#a16005789
and here:
http://www.nabble.com/-Fwd%3A-Re%3A-Error-with-DSpace-administrator%27s-account--td16008564.html#a16008564

Does anyone out there know if this has been fixed with DSpace 1.5?
Paul, if that's the case, would you be able to use DSpace 1.5?