From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Thomas A McGee
Sent: Mon 7/28/2008 9:32 PM
To: dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Dspace-tech] Excel Batch Import Tool

Speaking of making batch-importing more accessible, I've put together an Excel
spreadsheet that does a lot of the preparatory work. It was inspired by the
work the people at Nanyang Technological University had done, using a
spreadsheet that held the metadata and running it as a data source through a
Java application. My addition is to make it work completely within Excel.

A user will build their directory structure and populate it with the
bitstreams:

parent directory
>>subdirectory
>>subdirectory

And then fill out the columns and rows of the spreadsheet corresponding to each
subdirectory. Run the macro, and the dublin_core.xml and contents files are
generated and put into their corresponding subdirectories.

If you'd like to take a look at this work-in-progress drop me a line and I'll
send it to you. I've only tested in on Excel 2003 running on XP. There are
still a lot of refinements I want to do to make it easier, and also function
things like handling bundles.

You still have to use the command-line tool; this just prepares the necessary
directory.