I'll concur with Mark's comments about the use of Maven modules.

A small note about Java package spaces though - org.dspace.authenticate
is the correct place for it to be if you are intending to submit it as a
patch.

If it's just a local customisation, it's better to use a package
appropriate to your institution - ie. edu.kumc.authenticate.

Diggory Mark wrote:
> Yes, this is a safe place to put such a customization if you want it
> to be part of more than one of your webapplications (if it is just one
> webapplication that will be using it,  just place it in that
> webapplications src/main/java directory).  You will do the following:
>
> 1.) Create an "api" directory
> 2.) create a "api/pom.xml" that has a artifactId, groupId and version
> that is the same as your current dspace version.
> 3.) make sure it is also dependent on org.dspace:dspace-api:<version>
>
> 4.) put you code in api/src/main/java
> 5.) add the api directory to the modules/pom.xml as both a module and
> a dependency
>
> when you now build, the api will be included into the modules list for
> modules being built and the dependency will make sure it shows up in
> you WEB-INF/lib of your compiled webapplications.
>
> Finally, if you want your project to show up in the [dspace.dir]/lib,
> you'll want to also add the dependency to the dspace/pom.xml
>
> Don't hesitate to ask any questions if you get hung up on any of this.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark
>
> On Oct 1, 2008, at 2:44 PM, Jason Stirnaman wrote:
>
>> Follow up to my question:
>> Is
>> [dspace-source]/dspace/modules/api/src/main/java/org/dspace/
>> authenticate
>> the correct place to put a custom authentication method?
>>
>> ***************
>> Can anyone point to good documentation about where to place plugins
>> and
>> custom class files in 1.5.x?  It's not clear from the 1.5.1 manual.
>> Specifically, in what directory would I place a custom authentication
>> method like the MIT-Special-Groups in 1.4.x?
>> Thanks,
>> Jason
>> --
>>
>> Jason Stirnaman
>> Digital Projects Librarian/School of Medicine Support
>> A.R. Dykes Library, University of Kansas Medical Center
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> 913-588-7319

>> challenge
>> Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK&  win
>> great prizes
>> Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in
>> the world

This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is not the
original intended recipient. BioMed Central Limited does not accept liability
for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not expressly
made on behalf of BioMed Central Limited. No contracts may be concluded on
behalf of BioMed Central Limited by means of e-mail communication. BioMed
Central Limited Registered in England and Wales with registered number 3680030
Registered Office Middlesex House, 34-42 Cleveland Street, London W1T 4LB
This email has been scanned by Postini.
For more information please visit http://www.postini.com