Likewise,  We were working on a logo --> CC site solution for XMLUI
before I went onto DSpace 2.0 work.  But that is something that is
still in the works.  A change that works against the existing 1.5.x
branch would meet all our needs.

The old behavior was to use the contents of the CC file that has a url
to the CC site, it (the JSPUI) never actually showed the html file
exposed in the XMLUI.  I'm not sure why they chose not to use that
approach in the XMLUI. But we should choose one rendering and use that
exclusively across both webapps.

See for example:

http://demo.dspace.org/jspui/handle/1721.1/39640

vs