On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 3:31 PM, Shane Beers <sbe...@gmu.edu> wrote:

> Andrew:
> Performing OCR on a PDF document is, as far as I know, the most widely used
> method to search a PDF document.

I see. I didnt know that.

> Is there a specific reason you do not want the PDFs to be searchable?

I ***do*** want the docs to be searchable. It just so happens that they are
not. This is a situation I want to change. I am trying to find out how to
make it happen.

I use the commercial product ABBYY Finereader

It looks like this would be able to fit your needs. However, I would be of
the opinion that just performing OCR would be the most direct and stable
option.

The trouble is that I have a large number of non-searchable PDFs that exist
in a certain repo and I want to import them into DSpace. There are simply
too many to OCR them and I do not want to spend money on a proprietary
solution.

> Shane Beers
> Digital Repository Services Librarian
> George Mason University
> sbe...@gmu.edu
> http://mars.gmu.edu
> 703-993-3742

Many thanks for your response, everyone here is being very helpful :-)

Andrew M.