Hi Susan,
     We are also running 1.4.2 and have made some local mods to
MediaFilterManager.java to work around the errors that occur in
filter-media.  Our code basically writes the bitstream_id of the
documents that cannot be filtered, whether it's due to invalid
characters, non-OCR'd documents, or the Java heap space error, to a
locally-created table.  Once a bitstream_id is written to that table,
filter-media will not attempt to filter it again, and skips it.  A
report is created from the entries in the local table and is sent to the
Users for research and possible rescanning.  We have identified a lot of
documents this way that were scanned, but not OCR'd.  We've also
identified quite a few documents that corrupted and could not even be
opened in DSpace.

     I'd be happy to send you our code if you're interested.

Happy Holidays,
Sue Walker-Thornton

Sue Walker-Thornton
ConITS Contract
NASA Langley Research Center
Integrated Library Systems Application & Database Administrator
130 Research Drive
Hampton, VA  23666
Office: (757) 224-4074
Fax:    (757) 224-4001