Hi, Susan,

First of all, for normal uses it is not necessary to put index-all in a
cron job.

Re-indexing is necessary if you have done changes to the database
directly (e.g. running SQL commands to del or insert data) or when you
change the indexing options in dspace.cfg.

Normal adding/deleting/editing items using dspace's web interface or api
or shell script does not need doing re-indexing afterward because the
index will be incrementally updated automatically in each operation.

The purpose of index-all is to build an index of data to help speeding
up searching. Data is built into a tree structure. The files you see
under /dspace/search are records of the search tree. They are in binary
format, containing pointers to data and fragments of data.

Indexing is a strategy to trade space for time. You use up some hard
disk spaces to store index file in order that you gain high speed in
searching. If you are really interested in knowing the theories of
indexing, have some reading on relational database design and indexing.

When you decide to re-index all indexing must start from scratch.

In dspace.cfg, you can change the indexing behavior by adding or
removing or reordering the lines
search.index.X = XXX.YYY

Remove indexes that your systems do not need. Put important indexes in
the front.

Having a script to run for over two days is really annoying. You may
wish to check for any bottle neck in your hardware or network. Is your
CPU or network overloaded? Is there enough memory? Is the database too
busy...

In my case, I have about 30k of items. Index-all takes 1-2 hours to finish.

Regards,
Allen Lam.
HKU Hub Administrator, http://hub.hku.hk