On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Mr Havercamp <mrhaverc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Therefore, I was wondering if there is some way of viewing DSpace item
> records as raw XML? Alternatively if someone could suggest an
> alternative method it would be much appreciated.

This is an interesting question. The answer is yes, there IS a way,
but I'm not sure you want to rely on it.

There's a URL hack that will get you the METS for an item given its
handle. If the usual URL for the item is
http://example.com/handle/1234/56789, then you find the METS at
http://example.com/metadata/handle/1234/56789/mets.xml.

You could conceivably build your service on that, *but* DSpace has
been known to change URL patterns in the past, so this strikes me as a
wee bit dangerous. What I would be tempted to do instead is build a
Manakin theme that shoots out just the XML you want, and give it a
specific URL pattern to respond to. That way, if DSpace's URL hack
changes, the most you need to do is fix your theme... you DON'T have
to communicate with n developers working on projects that rely on your
repository to tell them to fix URLs in their apps.

Anybody done anything like this and have better advice?

Dorothea

--
Dorothea Salo                ds...@library.wisc.edu
Digital Repository Librarian      AIM: mindsatuw