On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 12:21:54PM +0000, Andrew Marlow wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Robin Taylor <robin.tay...@ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> > So my question is, are there any current/planned solutions that integrate
> > the compiling of stats into the heart of the Dspace code ?
> I hope not. Or if there is I hope that using logfiles will still be
> supported. IMO the builtin reports will never be enough for the needs of
> some people. It's great to provide some reports out of the box and I hope
> that over time this will include COUNTER-compliant reports. But my DSpace
> definitely has needs noone else knows about.

I just committed a small patch to 1_5_x which passes log-type
information to a configurable class whenever a bitstream, item,
collection, or community is viewed.  It doesn't do statistics itself,
but is meant as a standard place to hook statistical (or other) code
into DSpace for taking notice of view events without having to patch
the stock code.  Would that serve?

I think that the needs of different sites are too diverse for a single
one-size-fits-all stat. subsystem, at least for now and possibly
forever, but I hope that a stream of generic usage events will make it
possible to try different addons with little effort, ease the
maintenance of stat. packages, and assist the integration of new ones.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Friends don't let friends publish revisable-form documents.