From: Diggory Mark [mailto:mdigg...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 4 February 2009 10:10 a.m.
To: Thornton,Susan M. (LARC-B702)[NCI INFORMATION SYSTEMS]
Cc: dspace-tech
Subject: Re: [Dspace-tech] Local modifications to DSpace .java programs,in 1.5.1

Susan,

The way to do it without altering the code in place requires creating a custom
maven project within the dspace/modules/ directory, wiring it into the
dspace/pom.xml and dspace/modules/pom.xml so that it compiles into the build
process.

At this point, I'm seeing community member using both approaches, and I'm
unsure which I would most recommend. But here's what I try to approach as a
best practice.

1.) I don't like to alter code in place in dspace-api, dspace-xmlui or any of
those projects unless I intend to contribute it into the next release of DSpace
1.5.x

2.) Keeping all those projects around lengthens the build process and if your
not using all of them (dspace-sword, lni, etc) thats a lot of compile time for
nothing.

3.) Once configured properly, your changes in dspace/modules/xxx will always be
separate from the rest of the codebase, but you will still need to verify that
upgrades don't break your customizations by comparing your code to the
original.  Something we continue to strive to get away from.

So I would recommend the following steps:

a.) create a dspace/modules/custom-api/pom.xml for your api changes. That looks
something like the attached pom.xml

  • [Dspace-tech] Loca... Thornton, Susan M. (LARC-B702)[NCI INFORMATION SYSTEMS]
    • Re: [Dspace-t... Kim Shepherd
      • Re: [Dspa... Thornton, Susan M. (LARC-B702)[NCI INFORMATION SYSTEMS]
        • Re: [... Kim Shepherd
        • Re: [... Diggory Mark
          • R... Kim Shepherd
          • R... Thornton, Susan M. (LARC-B702)[NCI INFORMATION SYSTEMS]
            • ... Diggory Mark
              • ... Diggory Mark
                • ... Reuben Pasquini
                • ... Thornton, Susan M. (LARC-B702)[NCI INFORMATION SYSTEMS]
                • ... Diggory Mark
                • ... Kim Shepherd