This has been a very confusing issue because some along the way have
said that it doesn't work, and then the topic was discussed at length
in an online DSpace-sponsored chat at the end of 2008 where someone
suggested that a release available from Minho would allow it to work.
As a result of that discussion, the following was posted to the DSpace
1.5.1 release home page:

"This release contains numerous bug fixes from the 1.5.0 release,
including: browsing, display, and workflow issues in XMLUI; search
result and submissions issues in JSPUI; Oracle compatibility; and some
minor stability corrections.  In addition, the University of Minho
statistics package will now work with XMLUI as well as JSPUI.
More details can be found at
http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/Next_Release_Status";

That text still exists at http://www.dspace.org/index.php/Software.

Does anybody else agree/disagree that it currently doesn't work with
1.5.1 running XMLUI?