I am in the process of installing DSpace 1.5.1.  Yesterday I configured
our site to use the "fetch from cache" option for counting
collection/community strengths and it updated both the Community and
Collection counts and displayed them just fine on the home page,
Community, and Collection pages.  So no, you shouldn't have to do
anything special to have your Community strengths updated.

Here is what I did to get it to work.

1.  Configured our dspace.cfg as follows:

##### Settings for content count/strength information ####

# whether to display collection and community strengths

# (This configuration is not used by XMLUI.  To show strengths in the

#  XMLUI, you just need to create a theme which displays them)

webui.strengths.show = true

# if showing the strengths, should they be counted in real time or

# fetched from cache?

#

# Counts fetched in real time will perform an actual count of the

# database contents every time a page with this feature is requested,

# which will not scale.  If the below setting is to use the cache, you

# must run the following command periodically to update the count:

#

# [dspace]/bin/dsrun org.dspace.browse.ItemCounter

#

# The default is to count in real time

#

webui.strengths.cache = true

Then I created a script to run "ItemCounter, as specified in the 1.5.1
Documentation as follows:

#!/bin/sh

###

#

# item-counter - cron job for Updating the Community and Collection
counters

#

###

# Get the DSPACE/bin directory

BINDIR=`dirname $0`

echo "Beginning cron item-counter @ " &date

echo "Updating Community and Collection Item counters"

$BINDIR/dsrun org.dspace.browse.ItemCounter

# Check to see if the program completed successfully

if [ "$?" -ne "0" ]; then

   echo "item-counter cron failed @" &date

   exit 1

fi

echo "Cron item-counter completed successfully @" &date

exit 0

We will set this up as a nightly cron to run, once we do our production
implementation.

Hope this helps!

Sue