I have made this modification in our DSpace 1.4.2 and 1.5.1.  Ours does
NOT display the SFX link if the Item has a document, and it DOES display
the SFX link if the Item does not have a document.

If you're interested, I could send you the specs/code.

Best,

Sue

Sue Walker-Thornton

ConITS Contract
NASA Langley Research Center
</></>Integrated Library Systems Application & Database Administrator

130 Research Drive

Hampton, VA  23666

Office: (757) 224-4074
Fax:    (757) 224-4001