From: Sean Carte
Sent: Thu 26/03/2009 12:49 AM
To: dspace-tech
Subject: [Dspace-tech] DSpace on Port 80

I've been trying to use Apache and mod_proxy to redirect queries to
port 80, following the instructions at
http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/DspaceOnStandardPorts

I've got everything working so long as I browse to /xmlui. Going to
the server's root page simply gives me a blank screen.

This is documented in the wiki as follows:
"
In order to display the dspace home page, not the tomcat home page
when accessing http://rose.bris.ac.uk

1. Create a page called HelloWorld.jsp in the directory below:

   $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT/

2. Add the following lines to the HelloWorld.jsp:

   <% response.sendRedirect("/dspace/"); %>

Next. In the same directory, add the following to index.jsp just after
the <body> tag:-

   <jsp:forward page="HelloWorld.jsp"/>

3. Edit: ../ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml, disable the following text as follows:

4. Re-start tomcat
"

I don't have a ROOT directory anywhere on my system. Should I simply
create it in the tomcat install directory
</var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps/>?

Then what about the files that it's supposed to contain?

Am I missing something?

It also looks like that wiki page is missing some instructions for 3.
What should that be?

I did find something in the archives that suggested:

"
redirect tomcat's ROOT webapp to dspace using a symlink:

ln -s /tomcat/home/webapps/ROOT /your/dspace/installation/webapps/jspui
"

I tried that, but it didn't work, I used `ln -s /dspace/webapps/ROOT
/dspace/webapps/xmlui`.

I'm tempted to give up and try the iptables approach instead, but it
looks like I'm almost there ...

Sean
--
Sean Carte