From: Panyarak Ngamsritragul
Sent: Wed 1/04/2009 12:01 PM
To: dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Dspace-tech] Install dspace unsucessful

Thanks a lot for your information.  I did not record all the details I did
last time(s).  Sometimes I was stopped at 'maven package' which I learned
from others experiences that it was the file permission issue.  Sometimes
it seemed that I successfully went through the 'ant fresh_install', but
could not see anything when called from browser.  I rebuilt DSpace again
and was stopped at 'ant fresh_install'....

Anyway, I will try again and let you know later.
Thanks again.
Panyarak

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Mark H. Wood wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 10:07:47PM +0700, Panyarak Ngamsritragul wrote:
>> As postgres, I tried to create a database:
>>    createdb -U dspace -E UNICODE dspace
>>
>> But the command returned an error message:
>> createdb: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL:  Ident
>> authentication failed for user "dspace"
>
> Rightly so.  Your user process is owned by 'postgres', not 'dspace',
> and that is what the Ident daemon will report to PostgreSQL.  Your
> user and database credentials do not match, and that match is required
> for Ident authentication.
>
>> It is possible to create the database when I 'sudo su dspace'.  This can
>> even be done without specifying '-U dspace' in the command line.
>
> Yes.  Since the database/user pair in question is authenticated with
> Ident, the matching usernames are sufficient.
>
>> Is there anything wrong in this step ?  I did do further to install the
>> package, but finally failed.
>
> Well, I think that the command should be 'createdb -O dspace -E
> UNICODE dspace'.  The database needs to be owned by 'dspace' but it
> need not be *created by* 'dspace'.  You should be able to use the
> PostgreSQL superuser ('postgres') to create the database.
>
> But it sounds like you have created the database properly.  Maybe you
> should tell us how far you got and what the error was that has stopped you.

dangerous content by MailScanner.