Although Michele has recommended this initially,  I d not think that JIRA
will suffice and you will end up with the same situation as the SF trackers
and stale coded. An SCM management tool should be used for themes that could
be deployed and used by the community simply as DSpace XMLUI war overlays.
In this case I recommend the following for 1.5.1/1.5.2:

1.) We put together an appropriate example maven war project for packaging
your theme... It can simply be a copy of modules/xmlui with
groupId/artifactID named to your own liking.

2.) We provide a place for those who wish to maintain such themes against
different versions of DSpace in SVN where they can be properly version
controlled.  I will be announcing such a place in the near future as I am
working on a now community SVN polit at Oregon State Universities Open
Source Labs.  http://dspace.osuosl.org/svn/dspace

3.) We publish these webapp modules to the
http://maven.dspace.orgrepository such that they can be used in your
project simply by adding them
as a dependency.

One an overaly is added to your build process, copies of the theme or aspect
would show up in the projects traget directory and final build...

Mark

Mark R. Diggory
http://purl.org/net/mdiggory/homepage - Bio
http://www.atmire.com - Institutional Repository Solutions