Hi,

I have two components sharing a filesystem where package directories
are put for batch import. The first component from whence packages
originate has only the following relevant directories

  import/
  failed/
  success/
  success/Log/

and the files

  handle.map ; import.map

When the second component (dspace) has ingested a batch import
package, the state is communicated in those files.

handle.map has a two column blank separated format having column
contents "package_name" and "handle_number"

  # for instance, handle.map has
  1234x56789 123456789/4
  1234x99999 123456789/9

import.map expands handle.map with file index and pathname

  # for instance, import.map has
  1234x56789.1 123456789/4/1/ë.pdf
  1234x99999.1 123456789/9/1/ëë.pdf
  1234x99999.2 123456789/9/2/sëë.pdf

handle.map has 40,000+ lines
import.map has 50,000+ lines

I'm concerned that these map files could be `in contention' when,
simultaneously, the first component wants to read and the second
wants to update. Is there a problem? if yes, how to avert? I can
think of

1. using a lockfile for access control

2. using a database table in place of those map files, at what point
    do the line size of the files require this?

Thanks in advance.

Van Ly
vly at usyd dot edu dot au