Hello,

I'm running DSpace 1.5.2 XMLUI on a Linux system, and I've been trying to
install the XPDF tools for PDF thumbnails, following the recommendation of a
user on this list.  I followed the instructions to install the tools in the
1.5.2 documentation and believe I've successfully installed the jai_imageio jar
and set the configuration correctly.  But when I try to run the filter-media
command, I'm getting errors with pdfoppm.

The documentation mentions that a POM in the dspace-api module needs to be
edited, but it doesn't specify which POM, and what element needs to be added.

I've included a sample of the errors below.  Thanks for any help you can
provide.

Error:

ERROR filtering, skipping bitstream:

    Item Handle: 10538/148
    Bundle Name: ORIGINAL
    File Size: 6898424
    Checksum: 4637dd47354393dc87f3d2b881ec311d (MD5)
    Asset Store: 0
java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "/usr/bin/pdftoppm ":
java.io.IOException: error=2, No such file or directory
java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "/usr/bin/pdftoppm ":
java.io.IOException: error=2, No such file or directory
    at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:459)
    at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Runtime.java:593)
    at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Runtime.java:466)
    at
org.dspace.app.mediafilter.XPDF2Thumbnail.getDestinationStream(XPDF2Thumbnail.java:251)
    at
org.dspace.app.mediafilter.MediaFilterManager.processBitstream(MediaFilterManager.java:668)
    at
org.dspace.app.mediafilter.MediaFilterManager.filterBitstream(MediaFilterManager.java:570)
    at
org.dspace.app.mediafilter.MediaFilterManager.filterItem(MediaFilterManager.java:520)
    at
org.dspace.app.mediafilter.MediaFilterManager.applyFiltersItem(MediaFilterManager.java:488)
    at
org.dspace.app.mediafilter.MediaFilterManager.applyFiltersAllItems(MediaFilterManager.java:427)
    at
org.dspace.app.mediafilter.MediaFilterManager.main(MediaFilterManager.java:359)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: error=2, No such file or
directory
    at java.lang.UNIXProcess.<init>(UNIXProcess.java:148)
    at java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(ProcessImpl.java:65)
    at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:452)

I have verified that the XPDF tools, including pdftoppm, are in the /usr/bin
directory.

Cheers,

Eric

--

Eric Kurzenberger
Digital Media Coordinator

  • [Dspac... Kurzenberger, Eric
    • R... Kurzenberger, Eric
      • ... Thornton, Susan M. (LARC-B702)[RAYTHEON TECHNICAL SERVICES COMPANY]
      • ... Stuart Lewis
        • ... Kurzenberger, Eric
          • ... Stuart Lewis
            • ... Kurzenberger, Eric