Jason,

It's highly unlikely that Log4J is causing the startup to be slow. Whilst
your startup takes in the region of 10 minutes, there is no indication in
the log as to when each of those log4j warnings appeared, or what was
occurring at the time.

The regular re-occurrence of org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.sax
appender warnings, and the org.apache.catalina.startup.Embedded warning,
would suggest that the application server itself (Tomcat?) is missing some
logging configuration.

Those Digester messages look like they relate to the initialization of each
webapp deployed to the server - ie. where it loads WEB-INF/web.xml (and
correlating with the 'using dspace.cfg' messages that would also appear with
each one).

Deploying multiple web applications can take some time - loading the JARs,
starting any listeners / servlets that are set to load on startup. In the
case of xmlui (and Solr?) at least that will trigger a fairly significant
initialization process.

And it appears that you are deploying the xmlui application twice (once as
xmlui, and once as root?)