Hi,

Last week we completed the upgrade of our DSpace 1.4.2 instance to DSpace
1.5.2, but now are encountering lots of memory problems, which we did not
encounter on our test server.

DSpace is installed on a SLES11 server, the Oracle database is located at a
different machine. We are running Tomcat6 (installed via Yast) and Sun Java 1.5
(installed via RPM). We run the daily-digest, filter-media and the stats
cronjob. Apart from DSpace no other applications are running on this server. We
now assigned 6GB RAM to the server, and increased java_opts to Xmx1024. In
addition, Tomcat is restarted every night. At first this seemed to help, but we
are still running into memory errors.

On our previous production server we also encountered these kind of problems,
but could solve them by adding additional RAM to the server, increasing
heapsize in java_opts and restarting tomcat every night. This time this does
not prevent the errors.

Any tips on where I should look at to figure out what is causing this, are
welcome.

Exception:
javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.doHandlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:852)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:781)
        at org.apache.jsp.index_jsp._jspService(index_jsp.java:137)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:70)
        at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:374)
        at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:342)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:267)
        at
        at
        at
        at
        at
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:286)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:845)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:583)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:447)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Kind regards,
Francis Brouns