Hi, the error message you sent would seem to indicate a refused connection,
which could be due to an incorrect SMTP password, so I'd suggest
double-checking what you have configured for an SMTP server, user, and password
in your dspace.cfg. You did not mention your operating system, if it happens to
be RHEL5, I know that we ran into issues with sending mail via SMTP, until we
changed out the javamail.jar library, from the default provided by RHEL to the
one provided by DSpace. I recently added info regarding this to the wiki, on
this page:

https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Installing+DSpace+on+Red+Hat+Enterprise+Linux+5

Scroll down to the section "Replace the javamail.jar file".

--Hardy