Hello Sergio,

the overlay mechanism helps seperating your customizations from the
default DSpace code. It eases the management of customizations,
debugging, upgrades etc. The overlay mechanism works for all webapps.
Apart from that, it might be usefull to keep one's own version
management system for the code of a DSpace instance.

Hope that helps

Claudia Jürgen

--
Claudia Juergen