Hi,

Since we recently went live with v1.6.2 I've noticed a large number of the
following in our logs:

2011-03-08 00:14:16,592 ERROR org.dspace.statistics.SolrLogger @ Service
Unavailable

Service Unavailable

request: http://127.0.0.1:8080/solr/statistics/update
org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Service Unavailable

Service Unavailable

request: http://127.0.0.1:8080/solr/statistics/update
        at
org.apache.solr.client.solrj.impl.CommonsHttpSolrServer.request(CommonsHttpSolrServer.java:343)
        at
org.apache.solr.client.solrj.impl.CommonsHttpSolrServer.request(CommonsHttpSolrServer.java:183)
        at
org.apache.solr.client.solrj.request.UpdateRequest.process(UpdateRequest.java:217)
        at org.apache.solr.client.solrj.SolrServer.commit(SolrServer.java:85)
        at org.dspace.statistics.SolrLogger.post(SolrLogger.java:247)

They occur seemingly randomly, sometimes every few minutes, and sometimes every
hour or so (so possibly related to load?). SOLR stats are working fine
otherwise - I can see Usage Events being successfully logged between failures,
and "View Statistics" for items shows views and downloads being counted (but
presumably not all, due to the frequent failures?).

I searched the archives and found a couple of other mentions of the problem,
but no hint of a solution beyond making sure your SOLR webapp is reachable
(which mine appears to be generally, and access also tested from the command
line with curl).

Anyone have any ideas?

I also wondered if the optimisations discussed here,
http://atmire.com/statistics_performance.php, might fix this issue?

Any assistance/pointers welcome.

Cheers,

Mike

Michael White
Research Information System (RIS) Project
Information Services
S8, Library
University of Stirling
Stirling SCOTLAND
FK9 4LA
Email: michael.wh...@stir.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0) 1786 466877
Fax: +44 (0) 1786 466880
http://www.is.stir.ac.uk/aboutis/teams/aldt/eld.php

--
The Sunday Times Scottish University of the Year 2009/2010
The University of Stirling is a charity registered in Scotland,