After your last posting for testing Solr, I thought I would do it for my
server, just to see what I got.

So if I run: http://yourhost:yourport/solr/search/select?q=*:*

I get a 403 error.  Mine is
http://digital.maag.ysu.edu:8080/solr/search/select?q=*:*

HTTP Status 403-
type STATUS REPORT
messages
description  ACCESS TO THE SPECIFIED RESOURCE () HAS BEEN FORBIDDEN

Apache Tomcat /6.0.18

Perhaps I forgot to do something.  But below is my dspace.cfg sections.

I'm running 1.6.2 currently.

##### Usage Logging #####
# set this to be the port you run the dspace "solr" webapp
# on, by default, we are assuming a test configuration with
# tomcat still running on port 8080
#solr.log.server = http://localhost:8080/solr/statistics
solr.log.server = http://127.0.0.1:8080/solr/statistics

# The location for the Geo Database retrieved on update/installation
solr.dbfile = ${dspace.dir}/config/GeoLiteCity.dat

# If enabled the statistics system will look for an X-Forward header
# if it finds it, it will use this for the user IP Addrress
# it is enabled by default
useProxies = true

# Control if the statistics pages should be only shown to authorized users
# If enabled, only the administrators for the DSpaceObject will be able to
# view the statistics.
# If disabled, anyone with READ permissions on the DSpaceObject will be able
# to view the statistics.
statistics.item.authorization.admin=true
[...]

# control solr statistics querying to filter out spider IPs
# false by default
# solr.statistics.query.filter.spiderIp = false

# control solr statistics querying to look at "isBot" field to determine
# if record is a bot. true by default.
# solr.statistics.query.filter.isBot = true

# Solr Event fields indexed
statistics.items.dc.1=dc.identifier
statistics.items.dc.2=dc.dateaccession
statistics.items.type.1=dcinput
statistics.items.type.2=date
statistics.default.start.datepick = 01/01/1977

# URLs to download IP addresses of search engine spiders from
solr.spiderips.urls = http://iplists.com/google.txt, \
                      http://iplists.com/inktomi.txt, \
                      http://iplists.com/lycos.txt, \
                      http://iplists.com/infoseek.txt, \
                      http://iplists.com/altavista.txt, \
                      http://iplists.com/excite.txt, \
                      http://iplists.com/misc.txt, \
                      http://iplists.com/non_engines.txt

Dspace is running: [dspace]/webapps  (We are using "Technique B" from the
documentation.  We've
referred it from [catalina]/conf/server.xml]

Everything is running on the same physical server.

Something is amiss in my knowledge, I am sure of.  So, take aim and shoot me.
:-)