Hi Irene,

We've wondered that too at my university, Ohio State University, so we've
upped our setting to 600 which we feel is safe, but users typically do
smaller batches.

I'm guessing the too-low-for-practical-use limit of 20 is to be overly
conservative by default, so that there is no risk of data loss or
interruption.

Doing batch changes with a large number of changes will keep your system
busy, and the reindexing can take a while. I've noticed that when we set the
limit to be really high, it appears that nothing will happen from the user's
browser for 20+ minutes, so I've connected to the server from the command
line, and noticed that the reindexing task was taking a long time, but still
running. So you might be safe with setting this to a really high number
(several thousand), you'll just have to have the patience to not disrupt it.
But smaller / more manageable batch sizes will complete in a reasonable
amount of time. With this set to 1000 or more, I'm guessing your more likely
to run into Out-Of-Memory errors

There is a note in:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC/System+Administration#SystemAdministration-BatchMetadataEditing
that
cautions against doing too large of batch edits.

Peter Dietz