Ian:

Does that happen with all of your bitstreams or with just a few particular 
ones?  I have found that certain bitstreams cannot be filtered.  Sometimes the 
PDFs are locked so that the filter-media program can't read them or there are 
PDFs of page images and so there is nothing to read.  I have also encountered 
problems with certain images as well.

I'm not sure what version of DSpace your using, but if this is a PDF giving you 
this error, you could try switching from using "PDFBox" as the conversion 
program in Filter-media for PDFs to another program "xpdf2text".  This was 
suggested to me a while ago and I ran my DSpace 1.6.2 instance with it.  I am 
now running using DSpace 1.7.1 and using the newer version of pdfbox that came 
with it.

If you're interested in the xpdf2text solution there is a link: 
https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/attachment/10527/xpdf-filters.html that I 
have used in the past.

There may be newer information out there, so hopefully, better minds than mine 
will chime in :)

George Kozak
Digital Library Specialist
Cornell University Library Information Technologies (CUL-IT)
501 Olin Library
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853
607-255-8924

From: Wellaway, Ian [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:48 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Dspace-tech] Running filter-media script via cron

Hi,

Every time the filter-media script runs via the crontab, I get a lot of the 
following:


ERROR filtering, skipping bitstream:



      Item Handle: 10036/3175

      Bundle Name: ORIGINAL

      File Size: 180131

      Checksum: b8b5c0b847ee01c404e0623a42aae1b2 (MD5)

      Asset Store: 0

java.lang.NullPointerException

java.lang.NullPointerException

      at org.pdfbox.pdmodel.PDPageNode.getAllKids(PDPageNode.java:194)

      at org.pdfbox.pdmodel.PDPageNode.getAllKids(PDPageNode.java:182)

      at 
org.pdfbox.pdmodel.PDDocumentCatalog.getAllPages(PDDocumentCatalog.java:226)

      at org.pdfbox.util.PDFTextStripper.writeText(PDFTextStripper.java:216)

      at 
org.dspace.app.mediafilter.PDFFilter.getDestinationStream(PDFFilter.java:139)

      at 
org.dspace.app.mediafilter.MediaFilterManager.processBitstream(MediaFilterManager.java:674)

      at 
org.dspace.app.mediafilter.MediaFilterManager.filterBitstream(MediaFilterManager.java:575)

      at 
org.dspace.app.mediafilter.MediaFilterManager.filterItem(MediaFilterManager.java:525)

      at 
org.dspace.app.mediafilter.MediaFilterManager.applyFiltersItem(MediaFilterManager.java:493)

      at 
org.dspace.app.mediafilter.MediaFilterManager.applyFiltersAllItems(MediaFilterManager.java:432)

      at 
org.dspace.app.mediafilter.MediaFilterManager.main(MediaFilterManager.java:363)

      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

      at 
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)

      at 
sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

      at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)

      at org.dspace.app.launcher.ScriptLauncher.main(ScriptLauncher.java:212)


Any idea how I can fix this?

Thanks

Ian

------------

Ian Wellaway
Senior System Support & Development Officer
Academic Systems
Exeter IT

Room 909, Laver Building
University of Exeter
EX4 4QE
UK

tel +44 1392 722852

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the data continuously generated in your IT infrastructure 
contains a definitive record of customers, application performance, 
security threats, fraudulent activity, and more. Splunk takes this 
data and makes sense of it. IT sense. And common sense.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-novd2d
_______________________________________________
DSpace-tech mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dspace-tech

Reply via email to