Hello,
     We are running DSpace version 1.7.1, PostgreSQL 8.2, Sun Solaris 10 Unix
and are having a problem with the metadata import feature - both online and the
metadata-import script.  The problem is I can't figure out how to delete or
modify the existing dc.date.accessioned, dc.date.available, and dc.date.issued.
 Months ago we loaded some documents into our repository without any metadata.
Now we are trying to update these Items with their associated metadata and
everything is working great with the metadata import tool except for these 3
fields.  We need to be able to run a report, by accession date, of how many
records we updated with metadata each month, but I don't want to have Items
that have 2 separate accession dates, which is what we end up with if we try to
"modify" the 3 fields by including them in the .csv file we feed to the
metatata-import program.  I've written a SQL query that I can run after the
fact that will remove the older of these 3 fields from an Item if it contains
more than 1 (for instance, if a record has two accession dates - one is
01-01-2012T01:05:07Z and one is 06-12-2012T03:12:15Z - the first one is the
date the Item was originally loaded and the second one is the date the metadata
was updated in the Item), but wouldn't I have to run index-update or index-init
afterward if I used a SQL query to update the metadatavalue table?

Thanks,
Sue

Sue Walker-Thornton
Software Developer/Database Administrator
NASA Langley Research Center - LITES Contract
susan.m.thorn...@nasa.gov
(W) 757-864-2368
(M)  757-506-9903