On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 7:39 PM, Mark Ludwig <uld...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, Thanks for your reply.
> I agree that theoretically it should work.
> However, on a practical level,
> if the large files were simply on items in DSpace,
> we would have users hosing their PCs and workstations because no one has
> terabytes sitting around free. And the downloads would take some time and
> sneak up on them. If you click out of DSpace, the downloads can continue
> until
> your disk is full.
>
> I have also run into Java size limits. For example, I cannot upload a
> zip file over about 1.3 Gbytes. It says it cannot do a multi-part file of
> that size.
> So if the system cannot always handle gbytes of upload, we may likely see
> new
> problems with tbytes of download.

Oh, uploads are a different beast, I wasn't talking about HTTP uploads
at all. It's only wise to avoid them and use command-line importers,
there are several to choose from.

What you're referring to is probably DS-1124 [1], which was fixed in 1.8.2.

> What I am kicking around is DSpace cataloging of these files
> where the uploaded file on the item is actually a script to
> fire up a background sftp. These will supposedly be public files,
> so yes, it's an anon ftp. But the script could have explicit warnings about
> the size and
> contact info for help, etc. Of course DSpace can do that also.

I see, OK. I also think it's wise to include the warnings and
instructions. But what would such script look like for a platform
which doesn't have OpenSSH installed by default, like Windows?

P.S. Please, always CC dspace-tech.

[1] https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1124

Regards,
~~helix84