Thanks again Helix84, i've created a new theme and rebuild everything and
it worked!

- create new theme (copied Mirage and changed name)

cd
/home/dspace/dspace-1.8.2-src-release/dspace-xmlui/dspace-xmlui-webapp/src/main/webapp/themes
cp -r Mirage MyTheme
cd MyTheme

modified the following on sitemap.xmap:

<theme-path>MyTheme</theme-path>
<theme-name>MyTheme</theme-name>
<!-- <map:transform src="MyTheme.xsl"/> -->

mv Mirage.xsl MyTheme.xsl

vim ./lib/xsl/core/page-structure.xsl  (e.g. changed logo)
vim /home/dspace/dspace-1.8.2-src-release/dspace/config/xmlui.xconf :

and commented out the old theme and added:
<theme name="My Theme Theme" regex=".*" path="MyTheme/" />

cd /home/dspace/dspace-1.8.2-src-release/
mvn package
cd dspace/target/dspace-1.8.2-build/
ant update
cd /usr/local/dspace
../tomcat/bin/shutdown.sh
cp -r webapps/* ../tomcat/webapps/
../tomcat/bin/startup.sh

and the chages are effective, i suppose that when developing the changes
will be made directly on the webapp running and applied back to the source
afterwords.

Cheers,
alex