From: ivan.ma...@gmail.com [mailto:ivan.ma...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of helix84
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2013 2:12 PM
To: Jordan Piščanc; Brouns, Francis
Cc: DSpace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Dspace-tech] Creative commons in edit item tool

Bram and I looked at how DSpace stores the information that an item is
CC-licensed. It stores a license bitstream (license_rdf) in the
CC-LICENSE bundle and it also adds the dc.rights and dc.rights.uri
fields.

Anyway, there's no direct support for adding a CC license in XMLUI or
JSPUI that we know of AFTER the original submission. I also tried
looking at how you can do it manually by editing bitstreams/metadata,
but the fact that the bitstreams are stored in the CC-LICENSE bundle
together with the fact that you can't add or remove bundles from the
UIs means, that it can't be done at this moment.

We're assuming the reason for why it's not possible is that even an
admin shouldn't be allowed change the license after the item has been
submitted, because it's the author's right (it seems DSpace assumes
the submitter is the author) to choose the license. Of course, there
are cases where this assumption doesn't hold (e.g. importing items by
other means than the submission workflow).

Here's a proposal that would solve this (among other issues) by
letting you re-submit an existing item via the submission workflow
again. It may be worthwhile to watch it.

https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1234

What you can currently do is to use the item exporter to export the
item, add the bundle and bitstreams and re-import (replace) it. It
might be preferable from creating a new item, because it would keep
the item's handle, metadata and bitstreams.

Feel free to file this as a new Jira issue, that way you'll be able to
watch its progress and any comments made.

Regards,
~~helix84

Deze e-mail is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n). Verstrekking aan
en gebruik door anderen is niet toegestaan. Open Universiteit sluit iedere
aansprakelijkheid uit die voortvloeit uit elektronische verzending. Aan de
inhoud van deze e-mail en/of eventueel toegevoegde bijlagen kunnen geen rechten
worden ontleend.

This e-mail is intended exclusively for the addressee(s), and may not be passed
on to, or made available for use by any person other than the addressee(s).
Open Universiteit rules out any and every liability resulting from any
electronic transmission. No rights may be derived from the contents of this
message.