Hi Matt,

when I tested it, only as a proof of concept, it worked great both for
PDF and DOC files. I don't remember whether it handles raster images,
but I listed the formats it handles here:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Document+Viewer+Integration

The only thing to keep in mind is that the document in DSpace has to
be publicly accessible (bitstream Anonymous READ), otherwise the
Google servers can't get their hands on them and therefore render
them.

BTW there's something here (I haven't read it):
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Document+Preview+with+Google+Docs+viewer

Regards,
~~helix84