On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Walker Sampson
<wsamp...@mdah.state.ms.us> wrote:
> I'm running DSpace 3.1 and would like to set up LDAP. I understand from
> our own IT that their LDAP requires authenticated bind lookup and TLS
> encryption.
>
>  From reading the authentication-ldap.cfg file it appears DSpace does
> support authenticated bind lookups, but I'm unsure as to whether it
> supports TLS encryption, which I suppose would be in the form of StartTLS.
>
> Does anyone have experience with this?

Hi Walker,

you're right, the DSpace LDAPAuthentication module doesn't support
StartTLS. I agree that it's a serious omission and should be
corrected. I filed a new Jira issue to keep track of this task:
https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1518

I also explained some details there and gave some pointers, so you may
try to di it yourself. If you are successfull, please contribute your
code so that we can test it and include it into future DSpace
versions.

Hilton's response is in this case inaccurate, because he's talking
only about securing the connection of DSpace with the client, while
you're asking about connection of DSpace with the LDAP server. Of
course, both connections should be secured.

Regards,
~~helix84