Hi Michael,

Thanks for this!

Our plan has been to mention this Wijiti version, and encourage people to
begin or continue trying it. I know of several groups that are already
using a combination of this and/or the Hedtek version to power their
production DSpace instances or portions of their site.

Today's REST-API discussion at OR2013 will focus more on use-cases, and
thinking about how people are already using the "3rd party" REST API's,
i.e.
- User Interface replacement/alternative
- or those who want to provide the ability to make javascript widgets for
researchers to embed on their departmental website.

So, some discussion is on endpoints that are one-to-one with DSpaceObjects,
or endpoints that abstract some of the information to help solve the intent
of the external developer, of surfacing works, authors, subjects,
departments, files. Those of us here aren't concretely sure which
direction, so we're happy to bring in input from everyone with interest.

In terms of what will "ship" with DSpace 4.0, this group isn't that group
to decide. I would say that it would take a heroic effort to build a new
REST API from scratch and for it to be ready in time (i.e. Jersey /
Restlet), since that deadline is the next few months.

One consideration might be to agree to a "contract" of URI endpoint
structure, data objects/structure, and parameter structure.

Separately, I'd like to be able to version the api, so that we have a v1 in
place in the near future, and perhaps have room for the implementation to
evolve and improve as we get more eyeballs on it.

The only thing I'll add about my thinking in terms of alternative
implementations, such as Jersey, is just that they are the standard in the
Java API world, so you get a lot for free, and easier learning/support
curve. There is no implementation for DSpace built yet, so we can't really
advocate using that yet.

Peter Dietz