Hi all,

I notice that since DSpace 3, moving an item and selecting "inherit
collection policies" no longer removes existing policies on the object.
It's hard to tell if this was an intentional change or not... I see a
refactor in the way Item.inheritCollectionDefaultPolicies(Collection c)
works, and the addition of adjustItemPolicies, adjustBundlePolicies, and
filterPoliciesToAdd methods.

I can see the new behaviour looks like it will work well for new items that
are moving from submission or workflow into the archive (removing
TYPE_SUBMISSION and TYPE_WORKFLOW) policies, but it seems as though the
cases where an already-archived item is being moved from one collection to
another has been overlooked?
The comments for the method(s) still say "remove all policies on an item
and its contents", and "remove all policies on bundle", but this behaviour
isn't actually implemented any longer. (this has been confirmed by actually
trying this out in the UI)

Can someone shed some light on why this behaviour has changed, and maybe
some history behind the refactor of inheritCollectionDefaultPolicies?
If the new behaviour is intended, then I suggest we add a new UI option
that can be selected in addition to "inherit collection policies" when
moving an item, perhaps a drop down that forces a choice between "add to
existing policies" or "replace existing policies".

If anyone is wondering why this is important, sometimes repository staff
will need to move an existing item with open access policies into a closed
or restricted access collection with some restrictive default read
policies. Before DSpace 3, it was safe to check "inherit collection
policies" while moving and know that the Anonymous READ policy would be
removed from the item and its contents, and the DEFAULT_ITEM_READ and
DEFAULT_BITSTREAM_READ policy would be applied in their place.
As it stands now, Anonymous: READ will stay there, and the defaults will
simply be added... and the item will still effectively be open to all.

Cheers

Kim