Hi,

> we have deployed a prototype of a free tool that can analyze a few SEO
> properties for your DSpace repository. More precisely, the tool can take a
> look at your robots.txt file to see if there potential problems.

Having just upgraded to v4.1 and done my best to carry out SEO, I thought I'd
have a look at this out of curiosity and have a couple of questions:

- the Itemcount for our repository shows as 7536 items, but the actual number
of items in our repository is 8496 - any ideas where the discrepancy is
creeping in? The sitemap referenced from our robots.txt lists 8626 objects
(which includes Items along with Community and Collection Homepages) so I don't
think it is the case that the Itemcount is being (correctly?) generated from
the sitemap referenced in robots.txt (or is it?!) . . . .

- I wanted to see the Extended Analysis but it is asking for an email address
with the same domain as our repository - as our repository is dspace.stir.ac.uk
I thought it would be OK with michael.wh...@stir.ac.uk but I've not received
anything as yet (and the email didn't appear to have been Junked either) -
should I have received anything, or is that email domain not acceptable?

- the response time for the homepage of my repository is generally being
reported at around 2000 milliseconds (I tried it a few times :-)), but the text
on that page says some DSpace sites can serve pages in under 100ms:

"The faster your site is, the better. Some DSpaces can serve pages under 100ms.
If you experience substantially slower loading times you may need to optimize."

I didn't think of our repository as slow, but should I (i.e. does 2000
milliseconds constitute a "substantially slower loading time")? And if so, any
thoughts why our repository is 20 times slower than the potential value noted
on that page (yes, I appreciate this is "why is my bit of string longer than
yours" type question ;-) )? Perhaps it is just a "geographical" issue (I'm
guessing the analysis is being done stateside, so repositories on this side of
the pond might expect longer response times?)? Or maybe, in certain
configurations, DSpace just runs faster/slower (e.g. we are using JSPUI with
Apache in front of Tomcat along with Postgres, all on the same Virtual Linux
box) . . . ? And, if relevant, what is the optimization that is being alluded
to in the text on that page?

Thanks in advance for any insights anyone might have.

Cheers,

Mike

Michael White
eLearning Liaison and Development (eLD)
Information Services
S8, Library
University of Stirling
Stirling SCOTLAND
FK9 4LA
Email: michael.wh...@stir.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0) 1786 466877
Fax: +44 (0) 1786 466880
http://www.stir.ac.uk/is/staff/about/teams/aldt/#eld

--
The University of Stirling has been ranked in the top 12 of UK universities for
graduate employment*.