First all thanks for your replies but i still havent gotten this fixed.
This is a copy from my /dspace/solr/search/conf/schema.xml
<fieldType name="text" class="solr.TextField" positionIncrementGap="100">
      <analyzer type="index">
        <!-- in this example, we will only use synonyms at query time
        <filter class="solr.SynonymFilterFactory"
synonyms="index_synonyms.txt" ignoreCase="true" expand="false"/>
        -->
        <!-- Case insensitive stop word removal.
          add enablePositionIncrements=true in both the index and query
          analyzers to leave a 'gap' for more accurate phrase queries.
        -->
        <filter class="solr.ASCIIFoldingFilterFactory"></filter>
        <filter class="solr.StopFilterFactory"
                ignoreCase="true"
                words="stopwords.txt"
                enablePositionIncrements="true"
                />
generateWordParts="1" generateNumberParts="1" catenateWords="1"
catenateNumbers="1" catenateAll="0" splitOnCaseChange="1"/>
        <filter class="solr.ICUFoldingFilterFactory"/>
        <filter class="solr.SnowballPorterFilterFactory" language="English"
protected="protwords.txt"/>
      </analyzer>
      <analyzer type="query">
        <filter class="solr.ASCIIFoldingFilterFactory"></filter>
ignoreCase="true" expand="true"/>
        <filter class="solr.StopFilterFactory"
                ignoreCase="true"
                words="stopwords.txt"
                enablePositionIncrements="true"

As you can see I've added <filter
class="solr.ASCIIFoldingFilterFactory"></filter> twice , once to each
analyzer.
This is whats happening:
If i search for "accao" if find tons of relevant matches including "acção"
in the title, if on the other hand i search for "acção"

i get "searching for all of Dspace for" screen except its looking for
"acçao"
Its all garbled ... and therefore wont find any relevant hits ....
Ive done a re index -b as requested.
Im running Dspace 4.2
Please help,