Hello Monika,
That seems to have been it! I was checking in the BI_PRIVATE view, not
in discoverable. Many of them were not false but were null which seems
to have been the issue.

Actually, we are using Solr in 3.2, although not for browse, just for
searching, and didn't encounter the problem (things were all
discoverable despite not being marked as such, and showed up in
searches). So if there is anyone else who might have the same set-up
in 3.2, hopefully this will help! I think having solr do it all will
more for a smoother experience.

Out of curiosity, will the error with regards to null metadata values
actually affect anything? Those are supposed to be non-existent (those
items don't have metadata for those fields). A cursory overlook
indicates it didn't but figured I'd ask.

Thank you again!
Maura