I used to use this SRU module[1] in DSpace 1.6-1.8. It should still
work, but it uses Lucene as the search backend. It was an annoyance to
upgrade though, so I changed my client to talk to DSpace Solr
directly, the client is a component on another server, so I didn't
have to secure Solr, only add its IP to RemoteAddrValve. Back then I
had this idea for creating a SRU interface as a thin layer on top of
Solr, it should be quite easily doable [2], see the link there.

Anyway, I asked you what your use case was. Is it just search query
autosuggestion using JQuery? We used to have that before 3.0, but it
was removed in the huge patch which brought Access Rights Awareness to
Discovery, supposedly due to being memory-inefficient. It's worth
looking there how it was implemented.

For completeness, I'll also mention solr-security-proxy [3] here, but
generally you might want to avoid that approach [4]. Going off on a
tangent, Elasticsearch has the same problem, but the company behind ES
very recently released a commercial product that addresses this highly
requested feature [5].

[1] https://code.google.com/p/oclcsrwdspacelucene/
[2] https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1264
[3] https://github.com/dergachev/solr-security-proxy