Hi,

I've gotten this working. For others that may be interested, I followed Tim
Donohue's recommendation of adding a line into the DSpaceMETSIngester.java
file, circa line 92:

params.addProperty("dmd",[value]);

e.g.:

String userDmd = null;

        //JG 2015-04-27: Set primary mets:dMd type to PROQUEST. Forces
Ethesis deposits to
        // be ingested using ProQuest's proprietary metadata instead of
EPDCX. Other SWORD
        // deposits will not find PROQUEST in the METS so will go through
the usual decision
        //  making process.

        params.addProperty("dmd", "PROQUEST");  // add this line

        if (params != null)
        {
            userDmd = params.getProperty("dmd");
        }
...etc.

I renamed the class to DSpaceMETSIngester1.java

Edited DSpace.cfg:

crosswalk.submission.PROQUEST.stylesheet =
crosswalks/sword-proquest-ingest.xsl   <---added this line
mets.default.ingest.crosswalk.PROQUEST = PROQUEST    <---added this line
plugin.named.org.dspace.content.packager.PackageIngester = \
  org.dspace.content.packager.DSpaceAIPIngester = AIP, \
  org.dspace.content.packager.PDFPackager  = Adobe PDF, PDF, \
  org.dspace.content.packager.DSpaceMETSIngester1 = METS, \  <----edited
this line
  org.dspace.content.packager.RoleIngester = DSPACE-ROLES

Rebuilt DSpace and now it imports EPDCX metadata for standard METS files,
and ProQuest's proprietary metadata standard for ETDs sent via SWORD from
ProQuest, which contain both EPDCX and the ProQuest metadata in separate
<dmdSec> elements.

FYI for anyone testing SWORD looking for a client, CURL is the way to go,
e.g.:

curl -i --data-binary "@sword-2015-04-17(1).original.zip" -H
http://researchrepository.ucd.ie/sword/deposit/10197/2878

Joseph