Hi again,

Unfortunately, the documentation for the stats-util command is incorrect.
Specifically this line:

-i or --delete-spiders-by-ip: Delete Spiders in Solr By IP Address, DNS name,
or Agent name. Will prune out all records that match spider identification
patterns.

Running “stats-util –i” does not actually remove spiders by DNS name or Agent
name.  Here’s are the relevant sections of the code, from StatisticsClient.java
and SolrLogger.java:

(…)
else if(line.hasOption('i'))
        {
            SolrLogger.deleteRobotsByIP();
}

    public static void deleteRobotsByIP()
    {
        for(String ip : SpiderDetector.getSpiderIpAddresses()){
            deleteIP(ip);
        }
    }

What this means is that, if a spider is in your Solr stats, there’s no way to
remove it other than manually adding its IP to [dpsace]/config/spiders; adding
its DNS name or Agent name to the configs will not expunge it.  Updating the
spider files with “stats-util –u” does little to help because the IP lists it
pulls from are out of date.

An example is the spider from the Bing search engine: bingbot.  As of DSpace
4.3, it’s not in the list of spiders by DNS name or Agent name, nor is it in
the list of spider IP addresses.  So anyone running DSpace 4.3 likely has usage
stats inflated by visits from this spider.  The only way to remove it is to
specify all the IPs for bingbot.  Multiply that by all the other “new” spiders
and we’re talking about a lot of work.

I tried briefly to modify the code to take domains/agents into account when
marking or deleting spiders, but I wasn’t able to figure out how to query Solr
with regex patterns.  It’s easier to do with IPs because each IP or IP range is
transformed into a String and used as a standard query parameter.

Anthony