On 15 June 2015 at 13:10, Anton Angelo <anton.ang...@canterbury.ac.nz>
wrote:

>  [...]
>
> Currently we use PHP forms that generate Dspace archives we then batch
> import, and I like the flexibility of web forms, but I want to streamline
> the process.  The advantage of using XMLUI custom forms is the lack of a
> separate layer to administer, and hooking into the various authority
> control mechanisms that are provided.
>

> This is for Theses and Dissertations, which will be entered by our staff,
> not by students.

Kia ora Anton,

(cc dspace-tech since I get slightly techie here)

I think you've identified the basic difference - do you want an integrated
system to support - which will be more flexible and extensible in terms of
UI and intermediate transformation, but require more initial work and
ongoing maintenance - or keep things simple with the out-of-box submission
processes?

I personally have tended to use SWORD for deposit so I can do whatever I
like in the [self or mediated] deposit forms, integrated apps, etc.

If you plan to use authority control, it is true that using external forms
you'd have to implement some lookups again (I have some WIP on this sort of
thing, based on a prototype we made at OR2014) but you're not locked out of
using authority control altogether - you can pass the keys in with the
ingest metadata, as far as I know:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Authority+Control+of+Metadata+Values#AuthorityControlofMetadataValues-UnattendedSubmission

Some questions that might help you choose:

* Do you have staff/infrastructure resource to support an external thesis
deposit webapp?
* Do you have design requirements that differ wildly from the out of box
look/feel of XMLUI submission?
* Do you have requirements to do other clever things with deposited theses
- eg. submit to multiple repositories, submit to bindery, catalogue, etc.
* Do you have requirements to use authority control without too much extra
development?
* Do your staff (who will be involved in thesis deposit) already use your
DSpace submission forms for other processes?

Cheers

Kim