Hi Euler,
there are actually two different implementation available in the dspace
community for author profile.
Other than the PR that you refers there is the original extension
provided by Cineca and named DSpace-CRIS. Among many other
functionalities DSpace-CRIS allows your researcher to have a public
profile and manage it (but you can reserve the edit of specific area of
the profile to the administrators).

DSpace-CRIS (http://cineca.github.io/dspace-cris) is a long run project,
started in 2009 with the partnership of the Hong Kong University
released as open source in 2012. It is build on top of the JSPUI and
extends the DSpace model in a compatible way so that the DSpace-CRIS
database can be still used to run a default DSpace installation (JSPUI
or XMLUI) if you need at any-time to switch off from this addon.
As you can read in other threads
http://sourceforge.net/p/dspace/mailman/message/34218156/
http://sourceforge.net/p/dspace/mailman/message/34219307/

we envision to contribute to the main sourcebase as much as possible,
indeed the authority framework in DSpace and several enhancements to the
Discovery engine (as the support for the JSPUI, the major upgrade to the
Solr 4 series, the support for the browse system) has been already
contributed back.

The most comprehensive show case is the repository of the Hong Kong
University
http://hub.hku.hk/
http://hub.hku.hk/cris/rp/rp01314 - Author profile
http://hub.hku.hk/cris/ou/ou00123 - Department profile

but several other are reported successful installations. As Cineca we
run it on more than 40 Italian University (60 by the end of July) and a
bunch of foreign projects (Polytechnic University of Hong Kong,
euroCRIS, some Albanian Universities, etc.).

As the HKU is doing some restyling on the Network labs you could be
interested in the meantime to take a look to the same functionality on
the euroCRIS repository
http://dspacecris.eurocris.org/cris/rp/rp00006
http://dspacecris.eurocris.org/cris/network/rp00006

Here you can find some recent presentations/articles related to dspace-cris
http://dspacecris.eurocris.org/bitstream/11366/192/1/24_Palmer_et_al_CRIS2014_Rome.pdf
http://www.slideshare.net/dtpalmer/once-future-2
http://www.slideshare.net/AndreaBollini2/slides-tutorialcris

and the technical documentation
http://cineca.github.io/dspace-cris/doc/technical-documentation.pdf

We will be glad to answers any further questions that you have,
hope this help,
Andrea

Il 19/06/2015 07.28, euler ha scritto:
> Dear All,
>
> I would like to ask from the DSpace community if any of you have implemented
> the Author Profile:  DS-2169 <https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2169>  .
> I've seen in the pull request ( https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/668
> <https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/668>  ) that it has *merge conflicts
> that must be resolved*. So before I try to merge this feature in our
> repository, I wonder if what will be the repercussions of this. Any tips and
> advices are welcome. I would also like to request if you can share the url
> of your repository in case you have already implemented this. Our management
> like the idea of having our researchers' profile available in the repository
> and it is also one way to promote their research works in one place. Another
> reason why we would like to have an author profile is because of the
> proposal from webometrics (see item no. 10)
> http://repositories.webometrics.info/en/node/26
> <http://repositories.webometrics.info/en/node/26>  .
>
> Thanks in advance and regards,
> euler

> List Etiquette:

Andrea Bollini
Soluzioni per la Ricerca Istituzionale
Cineca

Via dei Tizii, 6
00185 Roma, Italy
tel. +39 06 44 486 087 - mob. +39 348 82 77 525
http://www.cineca.it