Hi Monika,

this will eventually boil down to a generic discussion of VMs vs.
containers which you can look up anywhere.

Let me just point out one important consideration - security.

With Vagrant, you get an official way of creating a VM using scripts made
by DSpace commiters, whom you already trust if you use DSpace.

With Docker, one of the advantages is being able to use the Docker Hub
Registry of images, which is just code from random people on the internet.
The question is do you want to use these, even in a development
environment? Of course, you have the option of creating the whole container
from scratch including the OS - you'll lose some of the benefits of Docker
this way, but you'll have more certainty that you're not running any
malicious code. Second security consideration is that of container
isolation in Linux, which is not particularly strong, but this matters only
if you run multiple containers per machine.

I also talked about this briefly with Hardy and he pointed out one benefit
of Vagrant - vagrant-share.

Regards,
~~helix84