On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 04:06:19PM -0400, Peter Dietz wrote:
> Has anyone stored nested / rich metadata in DSpace?
>
> An example I'm thinking of is for storing richer amounts of metadata for an
> object. For example:
>
>    - Author
>       - first-name: Peter
>       - last-name: Dietz
>       - name-as-it-appears: Peter Dietz
>       - institution: Longsight
>       - date-of-birth: ...
>       - ...
>    - Author
>       - first-name: Sam
>       - last-name: Ottenhoff
>       - ...
>
> The Authority Control system of DSpace looks like it approaches this, but
> the documentation isn't clear, and I'm not sure if it requires that your
> data values reside in some Library of Congress registry.

You can create other authority providers.  (The documentation is
indeed sketchy.  The code is in
dspace-api:org.dspace.content.authority.  Sadly there is no
package-level documentation to help us understand how the package is
organized.)

> The hack-job I have in mind would be to serialize the information... to
> json... and then store that into a metadata field.
>
> So.
> schema.author.serialized = {first-name: "Peter", last-name: "Dietz",
> "name-as-it-appears" : "Peter Dietz", "institution": "Longsight", ... }
>
> However, I'm tempted to think that DSpace should either have the ability to
> plug into any registry (hopefully there are registries you can populate and
> maintain with your own local data), or to extend DSpace's metadata data
> model to support nested/rich data.

DSpace already has infrastructure sufficient to represent the above.
We just don't define:

      somenamespace.person.givenname
      somenamespace.person.surname
      somenamespace.person.preferred
      somenamespace.person.affiliation
      somenamespace.person.dob

That part is easy to fix.  The hard part is that DSpace treats author
names as immediate strings rather than identifiers for related
"person" objects.  Fixing that will take a bit of work.  It ties in
with existing and ongoing work to integrate ORCID, too.

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst

University Library