I think Chuck has made some rather relevant comments on topic without
getting into all the emotional issues of what one thinks is or isn't in the
Rules. I think he has a firm grip on the topic.

I too personally feel that we need to address these issues especially with
the capabilities of our D-STAR Technology.  Having an ID-1 with internet
connectivity could easily compromise an operator if a hyperlink routes to an
HTTPS: site.  Or what if we set up an amateur radio backup link for local
hospitals and an e-mail is sent via OUTLOOK with a .zip attachment or
someone request us to relay a file that is password protected. Does that not
contain encrypted information somewhere in the message even if the general
message content is readable.

Yes these are grey areas left to interpretation and I feel much like Chuck
that we need to address these What if's before they are needed during actual
emergencies.  I think the FCC respondent was in his own fantasy world when
he said you simply need to grab a commercial / public safety radio to
complete the communications. I think Chuck is well aware many of these
systems go down during actual emergencies so they aren't available.
Evidently this FCC Representative has never been in a disaster area.  If you
haven't worked emergency communications then you have never really seen the
need Chuck is addressing.

The last NDMS Exercise we held here in Colorado had a lot of amateur radio
participation. A local hospital here in Denver suffered an actual loss of
their internet connectivity during the day of the exercise and was unable to
enter patient data from incoming casualty patients because they couldn't
access the States https: database.  If they had had access to an ID-1 and
internet connectivity they still couldn't perform their mission directly
with amateur radio as a back up with the system accessing an https: internet
site since that would be using Encryption on amateur Frequencies. Yes
information was passed after the fact but had this been an actually incident
with mass casualties having the ability to use amateur radio would have
ideally completed the data link during the emergency.  Just as a further
note, there has been difficulties with other exercises because the
participants are not familiar with the operation of the States 800MHz system
so it has never worked as anticipated during the exercises and the always
fall back on the amateurs to relay their information. There are also area
communities which operate on non compatible systems like EDACS and DTRS so
they often have trouble linking the systems to communicate between the two.
This is the real world!

Barry

KA0BBQ