D-PLUS Linking has its purpose, for wide area nets and if you know where
the station is that you want to talk to and the repeater they are using
is linked.

Source routing to an individual callsign (native D-STAR) has its purpose
as well.  If the station (callsign) that I want to talk to is attached
to a traveler, say a long haul truck driver or a road warrior, then
simply calling the station using callsign routing makes more sense.
Hopefully, the participants in a "local" QSO that gets interrupted by a
remote call are not the types that think they have exclusive use of a
frequency and have the courtesy and skill to let the remote station know
what is going on.

Callsign squelch is not D-STAR native, but it is a nice feature added to
their radios by Icom.  It seems quite a few folks think that callsign
squelch is the only reason to have the UR callsign set, but I see it as
a secondary feature.

--
John D. Hays
Amateur Radio Station K7VE <http://k7ve.org>