That is not what I read in previous discussions by folks who were
actually doing protocol-level work, but if you insist that the
headers are encapsulated inside the portion of the stream that's
covered by FEC, I can't really refute it technically.

What I can be sure of, is that the statement makes no sense.  If
a voice is copyable in a signal, but the header was mangled, that
would certainly appear that either:

a) FEC wasn't applied to the header.
b) The way the FEC was applied to the header/the way the protocol
handles header/callsign information is... well, busted.
c) Voice is copyable by the human ear even with artifacts from
errors.

But we all already knew the b) version of that, anyway.  Headers
should have been continuously interlaced in the slow data field
or actually designed into the protocol as a continuous repetitive
stream, so the GW software and controller firmware could have
been designed to "pick up mid-stream" if a copyable version of
the callsigns were to pass a CRC (or other mathematical) check in
the middle of a transmission, after missing the header completely
at the beginning of one.

It's also "too bad" that the repeaters weren't designed for field
firmware updates.  If they were, they could at least be patched
to watch the slow-speed data callsigns, but my understanding is
that only Your Call is sent in that way, not the UR, RPT1, or
RPT2... so I can see why it wouldn't really matter if the
Controller or GW had visibility to it.  It seems to have been
added only to help the receiving radio.
In layman's terms, and in how we all know the system behaves in
the wild: "Callsign headers from mobile/weak stations get missed,
far too often."

And that led to the GW design allowing "tailgating" to handle
mobile drop out at the critical time at the beginning of the
transmission.

Those two statements pretty much cover it without getting overly
technical for those not interested...

D-STAR is a great learning experience for the NEXT major mobile
digital mode.  Nothing "wrong" with it that couldn't easily be
fixed with protocol changes to match current telecom protocol
"best practices".

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X
n...@natetech.com

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 21:23 +0000, "Jonathan Naylor"