On 4/6/2010 5:10 PM, Catrina White wrote:

    I am frequently using a repeater where there is NO ACTIVITY when I
    turn on the radio, listen for a few minutes, put on my reading
    glasses to see if anything is scrolling on the bottom of my IC
    91ad, have it turned to high pwer, and use my BIG mobile antenna.
    It works for the most part. Is it jsut the fac tthat others are
    being rude, and just keying up when I am trying to transmit? I ask
    about my signal and am told that everything is fine on my end.

I give up!!
What else is there to do? are people really that rude that they will jsut key up and not check to see if anyone is transmitting? in DSTAR, eveyone gets knocked off, not just the big guy.
Couldnt someone fix that? It is obviously a HUGE GLITCH!

Not sure what you're saying is happening. You listen for a while, no one is talking, and when you unkey you hear voices INSTANTLY like they were talking the whole time?

This could be an indication that you're not RECEIVING well all the time... or have some local interference...

But describe it better (a recording would be excellent...), and we can hear what you're hearing...

You do know that the repeater always kicks back a transmission (not with voice ONLY with data) every time you unkey, right? You'll unkey on a repeater and the receive bars will light up within less than a second (usually, unless you're callsign routing, and the system hasn't confirmed the other end received the transmission fully yet), and the repeater will "ID" with its callsign back to your radio. This is a built-in "feature" since there's no "repeater tail" to let you know whether you accessed the repeater from your location, or not...

It sounds far more likely like you're not getting into the repeater in the first place. Ask the local repeater operator to listen to your transmission on a telephone or similar while they're simultaneously watching the "d-plus log" and they'll see easily if you're falling in and out. I don't know any active D-STAR Gateway admins who don't have the repeater's log file up almost continuously when they're monitoring or participating in a Net... it's the only way to see what's really happening on the system.

In fact, I've been considering writing some kind of web app so all the system's users could watch it "live"... it's a great way to see what's going on... and shouldn't be limited to just the repeater operators... but it basically is today, since it's just a logfile on the Gateway. A nice java app or something to display it to all, would be nice... but I don't have that level of coding skill. The best I could offer would be a "snapshot" to the web page...

Nate WY0X