From: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com [mailto:dstar_digi...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of John D. Hays
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:22 AM
To: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [DSTAR_DIGITAL] REF001C weird linking issue

Yes - though in testing for Dayton we clearly saw that a couple of hundred
streams through a reflector can be supported.

If more people would learn about the native D-STAR method of callsign
routing, calling targeted individuals and areas are easily supported.
Earlier this evening I had a nice QSO across the US, using callsign routing
specifically to his station.  The interesting side note is that the repeater
I was on, is registered on the UKTRUST and the repeater the other station
was using is registered on the USTRUST.  Both run ircDDB so we were able to
find each other by callsign and since I can hit another couple of repeaters
on ircDDB (USTRUST) I could have moved, without the other station even
knowing or caring.

Linking and reflectors are great tools, which I believe have enhanced D-STAR
for new users and wide area nets, but there is more to D-STAR than just
pumping voice through a reflector.

--

John D. Hays
Amateur Radio Station K7VE <http://k7ve.org>