> We have an open question to Apple on this issue.  James agreed that it
> was odd, and is following up with the responsible engineer.  James,
> perhaps you could send your findings to dtrace-discuss?

        I've talked with the folks involved, I think this was just an accident.

        It does raise an interesting point, though. How does one deprecate
an existing probe naming?

        I tried making a provider with stability level "Obsolete" for names,
but I didn't get any warnings when using the resulting probes. Assuming
we could get warnings for Obsolete names, how does one mark only
portions of a provider as deprecated? I.E.:

provider SomeProbesAreObsoleteButNotAll {
        probe entry(); // This needs to be deprecated
        probe sub-entry(); // This is the new name
};

        James M